Anti-epileptic effect of Ganoderma lucidum polysaccharides by inhibition of intracellular calcium accumulation and stimulation of expression of CaMKII a in epileptic hippocampal neurons
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPurpose: To investigate the mechanism of the anti-epileptic effect of Ganoderma lucidum polysaccharides (GLP), the changes of intracellular calcium and CaMK II a expression in a model of epileptic neurons were investigated. Method: Primary hippocampal neurons were divided into: 1) Control group, neurons were cultured with Neurobasal medium, for 3 hours; 2) Model group I: neurons were incubated with Mg2+ free medium for 3 hours; 3) Model group II: neurons were incubated with Mg2+ free medium for 3 hours then cultured with the normal medium for a further 3 hours; 4) GLP group I: neurons were incubated with Mg2+ free medium containing GLP (0.375 mg/ml) for 3 hours; 5) GLP group II: neurons were incubated with Mg2+ free medium for 3 hours then cultured with a normal culture medium containing GLP for a further 3 hours. The CaMK II a protein expression was assessed by Western-blot. Ca2+ turnover in neurons was assessed using Fluo-3/AM which was added into the replacement medium and Ca2+ turnover was observed under a laser scanning confocal microscope. Results: The CaMK II a expression in the model groups was less than in the control groups, however, in the GLP groups, it was higher than that observed in the model group. Ca2+ fluorescence intensity in GLP group I was significantly lower than that in model group I after 30 seconds, while in GLP group II, it was reduced significantly compared to model group II after 5 minutes. Conclusion: GLP may inhibit calcium overload and promote CaMK II a expression to protect epileptic neurons
CitationWang SQ, Li, XJ, Q HB, Jiang ZM, Simon M, Ma XR, Liu L, Li JX, Wang FF, LIang YF, Wu JM, Di WH, Zou S (2014) 'Anti-epileptic effect of Ganoderma lucidum polysaccharides by inhibition of intracellular calcium accumulation and stimulation of expression of CaMKII a in epileptic hippocampal neurons', PLoS ONE, 9 (7) e102161.
PubMed Central IDPMC4092074
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Creative Commons
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as Green - can archive pre-print and post-print or publisher's version/PDF
- Intervention effects of ganoderma lucidum spores on epileptiform discharge hippocampal neurons and expression of neurotrophin-4 and N-cadherin.
- Authors: Wang SQ, Li XJ, Zhou S, Sun DX, Wang H, Cheng PF, Ma XR, Liu L, Liu JX, Wang FF, Liang YF, Wu JM
- Issue date: 2013
- Effects of ganoderic acids on epileptiform discharge hippocampal neurons: insights from alterations of BDNF,TRPC3 and apoptosis.
- Authors: Yang ZW, Wu F, Zhang SL
- Issue date: 2016 Jun
- [Effect of Ganoderma lucidum polysaccharides on tumor cell nucleotide content and cell cycle in S180 ascitic tumor-bearing mice].
- Authors: Li JJ, Lei LS, Yu CL, Zhu ZG, Zhang Q, Wu SG
- Issue date: 2007 Jul
- Inhibitory effects of levetiracetam on the high-voltage-activated L-type Ca²⁺ channels in hippocampal CA3 neurons of spontaneously epileptic rat (SER).
- Authors: Yan HD, Ishihara K, Seki T, Hanaya R, Kurisu K, Arita K, Serikawa T, Sasa M
- Issue date: 2013 Jan
- HPLC analysis of Ganoderma lucidum polysaccharides and its effect on antioxidant enzymes activity and Bax, Bcl-2 expression.
- Authors: Yang Q, Wang S, Xie Y, Sun J, Wang J
- Issue date: 2010 Mar 1