Extraction of features from sleep EEG for Bayesian assessment of brain development
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBrain development can be evaluated by experts analysing age-related patterns in sleep electroencephalograms (EEG). Natural variations in the patterns, noise, and artefacts affect the evaluation accuracy as well as experts' agreement. The knowledge of predictive posterior distribution allows experts to estimate confidence intervals within which decisions are distributed. Bayesian approach to probabilistic inference has provided accurate estimates of intervals of interest. In this paper we propose a new feature extraction technique for Bayesian assessment and estimation of predictive distribution in a case of newborn brain development assessment. The new EEG features are verified within the Bayesian framework on a large EEG data set including 1,100 recordings made from newborns in 10 age groups. The proposed features are highly correlated with brain maturation and their use increases the assessment accuracy.
CitationSchetinin V, Jakaite L (2017) 'Extraction of features from sleep EEG for Bayesian assessment of brain development', PLoS ONE, 12 (3).
PublisherPublic Library of Science
PubMed Central IDPMC5360314
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Creative Commons
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as Green - can archive pre-print and post-print or publisher's version/PDF
- Bayesian assessment of newborn brain maturity from two-channel sleep electroencephalograms.
- Authors: Jakaite L, Schetinin V, Maple C
- Issue date: 2012
- Line length as a robust method to detect high-activity events: automated burst detection in premature EEG recordings.
- Authors: Koolen N, Jansen K, Vervisch J, Matic V, De Vos M, Naulaers G, Van Huffel S
- Issue date: 2014 Oct
- Combination of heterogeneous EEG feature extraction methods and stacked sequential learning for sleep stage classification.
- Authors: Herrera LJ, Fernandes CM, Mora AM, Migotina D, Largo R, Guillen A, Rosa AC
- Issue date: 2013 Jun
- Multivariate analysis of full-term neonatal polysomnographic data.
- Authors: Gerla V, Paul K, Lhotska L, Krajca V
- Issue date: 2009 Jan
- [Extraction of the EEG signal feature based on echo state networks].
- Authors: Han M, Sun L, Hong X
- Issue date: 2012 Apr