Estimation of abdominal fat compartments by bioelectrical impedance: the validity of the ViScan measurement system in comparison with MRI
AuthorsThomas, E. Louise
Collins, Adam L.
Goldstone, Anthony P.
Bell, Jimmy D.
intra-abdominal adipose tissue
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAbdominal obesity, more specifically increased intra-abdominal adipose tissue, is strongly associated with increased risk of metabolic disease. Bioelectrical impedance analysis (BIA) has been proposed as a potential method of determining individual abdominal fat compartments in the form of the commercially available ViScan measurement system (Tanita Corporation), but it has yet to be independently validated. The objective of this study was to analyse the validity of the ViScan to assess adult abdominal adiposity across a range of body fatness.
CitationThomas, E.L. et al (2010) 'Estimation of abdominal fat compartments by bioelectrical impedance: the validity of the ViScan measurement system in comparison with MRI'. European Journal of Clinical Nutritions 64 (5):525-33
PublisherNature Publishing Group
- Magnetic resonance imaging of abdominal adiposity in a large cohort of British children.
- Authors: Benfield LL, Fox KR, Peters DM, Blake H, Rogers I, Grant C, Ness A
- Issue date: 2008 Jan
- Predicting abdominal adipose tissue among women with familial partial lipodystrophy.
- Authors: Joy T, Kennedy BA, Al-Attar S, Rutt BK, Hegele RA
- Issue date: 2009 Jun
- [A new simple method for estimating trunk and visceral fat by bioelectrical impedance: comparison with magnetic resonance imaging and dual X-ray absorptiometry in Czech adolescents].
- Authors: Zamrazilová H, Hlavatý P, Dusátková L, Sedlácková B, Hainerová IA, Kunesová M, Skoch A, Hájek M, Hainer V
- Issue date: 2010
- Cutoffs of abdominal adipose tissue compartments as measured by magnetic resonance imaging for detection of cardiovascular risk factors in apparently healthy adult Asian Indians in North India.
- Authors: Misra A, Wasir JS, Vikram NK, Pandey RM, Kumar P
- Issue date: 2010 Jun
- Measuring abdominal adipose tissue: comparison of simpler methods with MRI.
- Authors: Browning LM, Mugridge O, Dixon AK, Aitken SW, Prentice AM, Jebb SA
- Issue date: 2011