A genome wide transcriptional model of the complex response to pre-TCR signalling during thymocyte differentiation
Furmanski, Anna L.
Saldaña, José Ignacio
AffiliationUniversity College London
foetal thymic organ cultures
genome wide transcriptional modelling
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractDeveloping thymocytes require pre-TCR signalling to differentiate from CD4-CD8- double negative to CD4+CD8+ double positive cell. Here we followed the transcriptional response to pre-TCR signalling in a synchronised population of differentiating double negative thymocytes. This time series analysis revealed a complex transcriptional response, in which thousands of genes were up and down-regulated before changes in cell surface phenotype were detected. Genome-wide measurement of RNA degradation of individual genes showed great heterogeneity in the rate of degradation between different genes. We therefore used time course expression and degradation data and a genome wide transcriptional modelling (GWTM) strategy to model the transcriptional response of genes up-regulated on pre-TCR signal transduction. This analysis revealed five major temporally distinct transcriptional activities that up regulate transcription through time, whereas down-regulation of expression occurred in three waves. Our model thus placed known regulators in a temporal perspective, and in addition identified novel candidate regulators of thymocyte differentiation.
CitationSahni, H., Ross, S.,Barbarulo, A., Solanki, A., Lau, C., Furmanski, A., Saldaña, J.I., Ono, M., Hubank, M., Barenco, M., Crompton, T.(2015) A genome wide transcriptional model of the complex response to pre-TCR signalling during thymocyte differentiation. Oncotarget 6 (30) pp 28646-60
SponsorsThis work was funded by the Wellcome Trust, MRC, BBSRC and UCL Graduate School; HS was supported by UCL-ORS/CHRAT Studentship; AB by an Istituto Pasteur/Cenci Bolognetti Foundation fellowship; MO by BBSRC David Phillips fellowship; AF by Asthma UK fellowship; MB by MRC Methodology fellowship; and AS and TC by Great Ormond Street Hospital Children’s Charity.
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Creative Commons
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/
- Novel post-translational regulation of TCR expression in CD4+CD8+ thymocytes influenced by CD4.
- Authors: Bonifacino JS, McCarthy SA, Maguire JE, Nakayama T, Singer DS, Klausner RD, Singer A
- Issue date: 1990 Mar 15
- GSK3-mediated instability of tubulin polymers is responsible for the failure of immature CD4+CD8+ thymocytes to polarize their MTOC in response to TCR stimulation.
- Authors: Cunningham NR, Hinchcliff EM, Kutyavin VI, Beck T, Reid WA, Punt JA
- Issue date: 2011 Nov
- ShcA regulates thymocyte proliferation through specific transcription factors and a c-Abl-dependent signaling axis.
- Authors: Trampont PC, Zhang L, Giles AJ, Walk SF, Gu JJ, Pendergast AM, Ravichandran KS
- Issue date: 2015 Apr
- CBAP promotes thymocyte negative selection by facilitating T-cell receptor proximal signaling.
- Authors: Ho KC, Chiang YJ, Lai AC, Liao NS, Chang YJ, Yang-Yen HF, Yen JJ
- Issue date: 2014 Nov 13
- CD8 coreceptor extinction in signaled CD4(+)CD8(+) thymocytes: coordinate roles for both transcriptional and posttranscriptional regulatory mechanisms in developing thymocytes.
- Authors: Cibotti R, Bhandoola A, Guinter TI, Sharrow SO, Singer A
- Issue date: 2000 Jun