The effectiveness of HIV/AIDS school-based sexual health education programmes in Nigeria: a systematic review.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractHIV/AIDS is one of the most important public health challenges facing Nigeria today. Recent evidence has revealed that the adolescent population make up a large proportion of the 3.7% reported prevalence rate among Nigerians aged 15-49 years. School-based sexual health education has therefore become an important tool towards fighting this problem. This systematic review assesses the efficacy of these educational programmes and examines how future programmes and their evaluations can improve. Primary literature published between January 2002 and May 2012, which measured sexual health outcomes among school-based Nigerians before and after a sexual health education programme was delivered, was identified. All seven studies that met the inclusion and exclusion criteria showed there had been positive changes in outcomes following these educational programmes. These included increased knowledge, healthier attitudes and safer sexual health behaviour. However, these studies each had methodological flaws which highlighted a range of important design, implementation and evaluation challenges that future programmes need to meet.
CitationAmaugo, L.G., Papadopoulos, C., Ochieng, B.M.N., Ali, N. (2014) 'The effectiveness of HIV/AIDS school-based sexual health education programmes in Nigeria: a systematic review' Health education research 29 (4):633-48
JournalHealth education research
- Addressing adolescents' risk and protective factors related to risky behaviours: Findings from a school-based peer-education evaluation in the Western Cape.
- Authors: Timol F, Vawda MY, Bhana A, Moolman B, Makoae M, Swartz S
- Issue date: 2016 Dec
- The effectiveness of sex education and HIV education interventions in schools in developing countries.
- Authors: Kirby D, Obasi A, Laris BA
- Issue date: 2006
- Sexual behaviour of secondary school adolescents in Ilesa, Nigeria: implications for the spread of STIs including HIV/AIDS.
- Authors: Owolabi AT, Onayade AA, Ogunlola IO, Ogunniyi SO, Kuti O
- Issue date: 2005 Feb
- Effect of Sex Education Programme on at-risk sexual behaviour of school-going adolescents in Ilorin, Nigeria.
- Authors: Esere MO
- Issue date: 2008 Jun
- Sexual behaviour and HIV knowledge among adolescent boys in Zimbabwe.
- Authors: Campbell B, Mbizvo MT
- Issue date: 1994 Sep