Release of VCAM-1 associated endothelial microparticles following simulated SCUBA dives.
AuthorsVince, Rebecca V.
McNaughton, Lars R.
Midgley, Adrian W.
Madden, Leigh A.
SubjectsC600 Sports Science
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractMicroparticles (MP) are shed into the circulation from endothelium following activation or apoptosis. Vascular cell adhesion molecule-1 (VCAM-1) is expressed on endothelial cells following activation and here we report quantification of VCAM-1 positive microparticles (VCAM + MP) following simulated SCUBA dives, breathing either air or oxygen. VCAM + MP were quantified pre-dive (09:00 and 13:00) and post-dive (+1, +3 and +15 h) on both air and oxygen dives and compared with control samples taken from the same subjects. VCAM + MP followed a similar trend in all experiments, however both dives caused a change in endothelial state, as measured by VCAM + MP. A significant increase in VCAM + MP was observed 1 h post-air dive relative to the control (p = 0.013), which was not observed after the oxygen dive (p = 0.095). Oxidative stress (TBARS) was correlated with VCAM + MP. Data presented highlights the potential of MP as a biological marker of both endothelial state and decompression illness.
CitationVince, R. V., McNaughton, L., Taylor, L., Midgley, A. W., Laden, G. & Madden, L. A. (2009) 'Release of vcam-1 associated endothelial microparticles following simulated scuba dives', European Journal of Applied Physiology, 105 (4), pp. 507-513
- Hypoxia mediated release of endothelial microparticles and increased association of S100A12 with circulating neutrophils.
- Authors: Vince RV, Chrismas B, Midgley AW, McNaughton LR, Madden LA
- Issue date: 2009 Jan-Mar
- Effect of oxygen-breathing during a decompression-stop on bubble-induced platelet activation after an open-sea air dive: oxygen-stop decompression.
- Authors: Pontier JM, Lambrechts K
- Issue date: 2014 Jun
- Endothelial function and stress response after simulated dives to 18 msw breathing air or oxygen.
- Authors: Madden LA, Chrismas BC, Mellor D, Vince RV, Midgley AW, McNaughton LR, Atkin SL, Laden G
- Issue date: 2010 Jan
- Blood platelet-derived microparticles release and bubble formation after an open-sea air dive.
- Authors: Pontier JM, Gempp E, Ignatescu M
- Issue date: 2012 Oct
- Effects of successive air and nitrox dives on human vascular function.
- Authors: Marinovic J, Ljubkovic M, Breskovic T, Gunjaca G, Obad A, Modun D, Bilopavlovic N, Tsikas D, Dujic Z
- Issue date: 2012 Jun