Expression of calbindin-D28K by reactive astrocytes in gerbil hippocampus after ischaemia
Ahmed, Bushra Y.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractCalbindin-D28K (Calbindin) is a member of the superfamily of calcium-binding proteins that is implicated in the regulation of intracellular calcium. In the adult mammalian brain, calbindin was thought to be present only in neurones, where it is believed to serve a neuroprotective role. We now report the expression of calbindin after ischaemia in reactive astrocytes in the CA1 subfield of the hippocampus. Since other calcium-binding proteins, such as S-100 and calmodulin, which induce transformation or proliferation of glia, occur in astrocytes, it is conceivable that the expression of calbindin after ischaemia might be an important part of the process of gliosis.
CitationToyoshima T., Yamagami S., Ahmed B.Y., Jin, L., Miyamoto, O., Itano, T., Tokuda, M., Matsui, H., Hatase, O. (1996) 'Expression of calbindin-D28K by reactive astrocytes in gerbil hippocampus after ischaemia', Neuroreport, 7(13),pp.2087-2091.
PublisherLippincott, Williams & Wilkins
- Short-term ethanol exposure alters calbindin D28k and glial fibrillary acidic protein immunoreactivity in hippocampus of mice.
- Authors: Satriotomo I, Miki T, Itoh M, Ameno K, Ijiri I, Takeuchi Y
- Issue date: 2000 Oct 6
- Post-ischaemic alteration of excitatory amino acid transport sites in the gerbil hippocampus.
- Authors: Araki T, Kato H, Kogure K, Itoyama Y
- Issue date: 1997 Dec
- A chronological study of the expression of glial fibrillary acidic protein and calbindin-D28 k by reactive astrocytes in the electrically lesioned rat brain.
- Authors: Ahmed BY, Toyoshima T, Yamagami S, Jin L, Itano T, Miyamoto O, Tokuda M, Murakami TH, Hatase O
- Issue date: 1996 Nov
- Changes in immunoreactivity of HSP60 and its neuroprotective effects in the gerbil hippocampal CA1 region induced by transient ischemia.
- Authors: Hwang IK, Ahn HC, Yoo KY, Lee JY, Suh HW, Kwon YG, Cho JH, Won MH
- Issue date: 2007 Dec
- Effect of pitavastatin against expression of S100beta protein in the gerbil hippocampus after transient cerebral ischaemia.
- Authors: Muramatsu Y, Kurosaki R, Kato H, Araki T
- Issue date: 2004 Sep