Evaluation of structural similarity based on reduced dimensionality representations of protein structure.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractProtein similarity estimations can be achieved using reduced dimensional representations and we describe a new application for the generation of two-dimensional maps from the three-dimensional structure. The code for the dimensionality reduction is based on the concept of pseudo-random generation of two-dimensional coordinates and Monte Carlo-like acceptance criteria for the generated coordinates. A new method for calculating protein similarity is developed by introducing a distance-dependent similarity field. Similarity of two proteins is derived from similarity field indices between amino acids based on various criteria such as hydrophobicity, residue replacement factors and conformational similarity, each showing a one factor Gaussian dependence. Results on comparisons of misfolded protein models with data sets of correctly folded structures show that discrimination between correctly folded and misfolded structures is possible. Tests were carried out on five different proteins, comparing a misfolded protein structure with members of the same topology, architecture, family and domain according to the CATH classification.
CitationAlbrecht, B., Grant, G.H. and Richards, W.G. (2004) 'Evaluation of structural similarity based on reduced dimensionality representations of protein structure', Protein Engineering, Design and Selection, 17, pp. 425–432.
PublisherOxford University Press
- Classification of proteins based on similarity of two-dimensional protein maps.
- Authors: Albrecht B, Grant GH, Sisu C, Richards WG
- Issue date: 2008 Nov
- Identifying native-like protein structures using physics-based potentials.
- Authors: Dominy BN, Brooks CL
- Issue date: 2002 Jan 15
- Calculation of protein domain structural similarity using two-dimensional representations.
- Authors: Allen BC, Grant GH, Richards WG
- Issue date: 2003 Jan-Feb
- Protein structure prediction based on sequence similarity.
- Authors: Jaroszewski L
- Issue date: 2009
- Protein structure estimation from minimal restraints using Rosetta.
- Authors: Rohl CA
- Issue date: 2005