Exercise protocols to estimate Fatmax and maximal fat oxidation in children
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractConsensus on the exercise protocol used to measure Fatmax (exercise intensity corresponding to maximum fat oxidation (MFO)) in children has not been reached. The present study compared Fatmax estimated using the 3 min incremental cycling protocol (3-INC) and a protocol consisting of several 10 min constant work rate exercise bouts (10-CWR) in 26 prepubertal children. Group Fatmax values were the same for 3-INC and 10-CWR (55% VO2peak) and 95% limits of agreement (LoA) were ± 7% VO2peak. Group MFO values were similar between protocols, although 95% LoA were -94 to 113 mg·min-1. While 3-INC provides a valid estimation of Fatmax compared with 10-CWR, caution should be exercised when estimating MFO in prepubertal children.
CitationZakrzewski, J, & Tolfrey, K. (2011) 'Exercise protocols to estimate Fatmax and maximal fat oxidation in children', Pediatric exercise science, 23(1), pp.122-35.
JournalPediatric exercise science
- A Comparison of the Maximal Fat Oxidation Rates of Three Different Time Periods in The Fatmax Stage.
- Authors: Özgünen KT, Özdemir Ç, Korkmaz-Eryılmaz S, Kılcı A, Günaştı Ö, Kurdak SS
- Issue date: 2019 Mar
- Determination of the exercise intensity that elicits maximal fat oxidation in short-time testing.
- Authors: Takagi S, Sakamoto S, Midorikawa T, Konishi M, Katsumura T
- Issue date: 2014
- Limited benefit of Fatmax-test to derive training prescriptions.
- Authors: Schwindling S, Scharhag-Rosenberger F, Kindermann W, Meyer T
- Issue date: 2014 Apr
- Impact of data analysis methods for maximal fat oxidation estimation during exercise in sedentary adults.
- Authors: Amaro-Gahete FJ, Sanchez-Delgado G, Alcantara JMA, Martinez-Tellez B, Acosta FM, Helge JW, Ruiz JR
- Issue date: 2019 Oct
- Assessment of maximal fat oxidation during exercise: A systematic review.
- Authors: Amaro-Gahete FJ, Sanchez-Delgado G, Jurado-Fasoli L, De-la-O A, Castillo MJ, Helge JW, Ruiz JR
- Issue date: 2019 Jul