ILEI: a cytokine essential for EMT, tumor formation, and late events in metastasis in epithelial cells.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractErk/MAPK and TGFbeta signaling cause epithelial to mesenchymal transition (EMT) and metastasis in mouse mammary epithelial cells (EpH4) transformed with oncogenic Ras (EpRas). In trials to unravel underlying mechanisms, expression profiling for EMT-specific genes identified a secreted interleukin-related protein (ILEI), upregulated exclusively at the translational level. Stable overexpression of ILEI in EpH4 and EpRas cells caused EMT, tumor growth, and metastasis, independent of TGFbeta-R signaling and enhanced by Bcl2. RNAi-mediated knockdown of ILEI in EpRas cells before and after EMT (EpRasXT) prevented and reverted TGFbeta-dependent EMT, also abrogating metastasis formation. ILEI is overexpressed and/or altered in intracellular localization in multiple human tumors, an event strongly correlated to invasion/EMT, metastasis formation, and survival in human colon and breast cancer.
CitationWaerner, T., Alacakaptan, M., Tamir, I., Oberauer, R., Gal, A., Brabletz, T., Schreiber, M., Jechlinger, M., Beug, H. (2006) 'ILEI: a cytokine essential for EMT, tumor formation, and late events in metastasis in epithelial cells', "Cancer Cell", 10(3),pp. 227-239.
- NF-kappaB is essential for epithelial-mesenchymal transition and metastasis in a model of breast cancer progression.
- Authors: Huber MA, Azoitei N, Baumann B, Grünert S, Sommer A, Pehamberger H, Kraut N, Beug H, Wirth T
- Issue date: 2004 Aug
- Molecular signature and therapeutic perspective of the epithelial-to-mesenchymal transitions in epithelial cancers.
- Authors: Sabbah M, Emami S, Redeuilh G, Julien S, Prévost G, Zimber A, Ouelaa R, Bracke M, De Wever O, Gespach C
- Issue date: 2008 Aug-Oct
- Decreased expression of glutaredoxin 1 is required for transforming growth factor-beta1-mediated epithelial-mesenchymal transition of EpRas mammary epithelial cells.
- Authors: Lee EK, Jeon WK, Chae MY, Hong HY, Lee YS, Kim JH, Kwon JY, Kim BC, Park SH
- Issue date: 2010 Jan 1
- Enhanced tenascin-C expression and matrix deposition during Ras/TGF-beta-induced progression of mammary tumor cells.
- Authors: Maschler S, Grunert S, Danielopol A, Beug H, Wirl G
- Issue date: 2004 Apr 29
- Expression profiling of epithelial plasticity in tumor progression.
- Authors: Jechlinger M, Grunert S, Tamir IH, Janda E, Lüdemann S, Waerner T, Seither P, Weith A, Beug H, Kraut N
- Issue date: 2003 Oct 16