Dietary glycated protein modulates the colonic microbiota towards a more detrimental composition in ulcerative colitis patients and non-ulcerative colitis subjects
short-chain fatty acids
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe aim of the study was to investigate the effect of native, heated and glycated bovine serum albumin (BSA) on the ulcerative colitis (UC) and non-UC colonic microbiota in vitro. Results suggest that dietary glycated protein may impact upon the composition and activity of the colonic microbiota, an important environmental variable in UC.
CitationMills, D.J.S.; Tuohy, K.M.; Booth, J.; Buck, M.; Crabbe, M.J.C.; Gibson, G.R. and Ames, J.M. (2008) 'Dietary glycated protein modulates the colonic microbiota towards a more detrimental composition in ulcerative colitis patients and non-ulcerative colitis subjects', Journal of Applied Microbiology, 105(3), pp.706-714
JournalJournal of Applied Microbiology
- In vitro batch cultures of gut microbiota from healthy and ulcerative colitis (UC) subjects suggest that sulphate-reducing bacteria levels are raised in UC and by a protein-rich diet.
- Authors: Khalil NA, Walton GE, Gibson GR, Tuohy KM, Andrews SC
- Issue date: 2014 Feb
- Diversity of mucosa-associated microbiota in active and inactive ulcerative colitis.
- Authors: Nishikawa J, Kudo T, Sakata S, Benno Y, Sugiyama T
- Issue date: 2009
- Effects of yogurt and bifidobacteria supplementation on the colonic microbiota in lactose-intolerant subjects.
- Authors: He T, Priebe MG, Zhong Y, Huang C, Harmsen HJ, Raangs GC, Antoine JM, Welling GW, Vonk RJ
- Issue date: 2008 Feb
- Chemotaxonomic analysis of bacterial populations colonizing the rectal mucosa in patients with ulcerative colitis.
- Authors: Macfarlane S, Furrie E, Cummings JH, Macfarlane GT
- Issue date: 2004 Jun 15
- Fluctuations in butyrate-producing bacteria in ulcerative colitis patients of North India.
- Authors: Kumari R, Ahuja V, Paul J
- Issue date: 2013 Jun 14