'They're more like ordinary stroppy British women': attitudes and expectations of maternity care professionals to UK-born ethnic minority women.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractTo explore the attitudes and expectations of maternity care professionals to UK-born ethnic minority mothers.Qualitative in-depth interviews with 30 professionals from eight NHS maternity units in England that provide services for large proportions of women of black Caribbean, black African, Indian, Pakistani and Irish descent.Conclusion: Professionals appeared to equate the needs of UK-born ethnic minority women with those of white English women. Overall, this has positive implications for care provision. Despite this, specific behavioural expectations and unconscious stereotypical views were evident and have the potential to affect clinical practice.
CitationPuthussery, S., Twamley, K., Harding, S., Mirsky, J., Baron, M. and Macfarlane, A. (2008) 'They're more like ordinary stroppy British women': attitudes and expectations of maternity care professionals to UK-born ethnic minority women', Journal of Health Services Research & Policy, 13 (4), pp.195-201.
PublisherRoyal Society of Medicine Press
- 'You need that loving tender care': maternity care experiences and expectations of ethnic minority women born in the United Kingdom.
- Authors: Puthussery S, Twamley K, Macfarlane A, Harding S, Baron M
- Issue date: 2010 Jul
- The midwife-woman relationship in a South Wales community: Experiences of midwives and migrant Pakistani women in early pregnancy.
- Authors: Goodwin L, Hunter B, Jones A
- Issue date: 2018 Feb
- Pregnancy as an ideal time for intervention to address the complex needs of black and minority ethnic women: views of British midwives.
- Authors: Aquino MR, Edge D, Smith DM
- Issue date: 2015 Mar
- Ethnic minority women's experience of maternity services in England.
- Authors: Jomeen J, Redshaw M
- Issue date: 2013
- Experiencing maternity care: the care received and perceptions of women from different ethnic groups.
- Authors: Henderson J, Gao H, Redshaw M
- Issue date: 2013 Oct 22