'You need that loving tender care': maternity care experiences and expectations of ethnic minority women born in the United Kingdom.
AffiliationCity University London
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractTo explore the maternity care experiences and expectations of United Kingdom (UK)-born ethnic minority women.Qualitative in-depth interviews with 34 UK-born mothers of Black Caribbean, Black African, Indian, Pakistani, Bangladeshi and Irish descent, recruited mainly from nine National Health Service (NHS) maternity units in England. The findings contribute to the growing evidence about the need to improve maternity and postnatal care, and to develop more sensitive and women-centred care for all women irrespective of ethnic background.
CitationPuthussery, S., Twamley, K., Macfarlane, A., Harding, S. and Baron, M. (2010) 'You need that loving tender care': maternity care experiences and expectations of ethnic minority women born in the United Kingdom', Journal of Health Service Research & Policy, 15 (3), pp.156-62.
PublisherRoyal Society of Medicine Press
- 'They're more like ordinary stroppy British women': attitudes and expectations of maternity care professionals to UK-born ethnic minority women.
- Authors: Puthussery S, Twamley K, Harding S, Mirsky J, Baron M, Macfarlane A
- Issue date: 2008 Oct
- Pregnancy as an ideal time for intervention to address the complex needs of black and minority ethnic women: views of British midwives.
- Authors: Aquino MR, Edge D, Smith DM
- Issue date: 2015 Mar
- Black, Asian and minority ethnic women's experiences of maternity services in the UK: A qualitative evidence synthesis.
- Authors: MacLellan J, Collins S, Myatt M, Pope C, Knighton W, Rai T
- Issue date: 2022 Jul
- 'We both just wanted to be normal parents': a qualitative study of the experience of maternity care for women with learning disability.
- Authors: Malouf R, McLeish J, Ryan S, Gray R, Redshaw M
- Issue date: 2017 Mar 24
- UK-born ethnic minority women and their experiences of feeding their newborn infant.
- Authors: Twamley K, Puthussery S, Harding S, Baron M, Macfarlane A
- Issue date: 2011 Oct