Distance measurements in the borderline region of applicability of CW EPR and DEER: a model study on a homologous series of spin-labelled peptides.
AuthorsBanham, Janet E.
Baker, Christopher M.
Day, Iain J.
Grant, Guy H.
Groenen, Edgar J.J.
Rodgers, Christopher T.
Timmel, Christiane R.
AffiliationUniversity of Oxford
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractInter-spin distances between 1 nm and 4.5 nm are measured by continuous wave (CW) and pulsed electron paramagnetic resonance (EPR) methods for a series of nitroxide-spin-labelled peptides. The upper distance limit for measuring dipolar coupling by the broadening of the CW spectrum and the lower distance limit for the present optimally-adjusted double electron electron resonance (DEER) set-up are determined and found to be both around 1.6-1.9 nm. The methods for determining distances and corresponding distributions from CW spectral line broadening are reviewed and further developed. Also, the work shows that a correction factor is required for the analysis of inter-spin distances below approximately 2 nm for DEER measurements and this is calculated using the density matrix formalism.
CitationBanham, J., Baker, C.M., Ceola, S., Day, I.J., Grant, G.H., Groenen, E.J.J., Rodgers, C.T., Jeschke, G., Timmel, C.R. (2008) 'Distance measurements in the borderline region of applicability of CW EPR and DEER: a model study on a homologous series of spin-labelled peptides', Journal of magnetic resonance 191 (2):202-218
- Intermediate dipolar distances from spin labels.
- Authors: Marsh D
- Issue date: 2014 Jan
- A short note on the analysis of distance measurements by electron paramagnetic resonance.
- Authors: Domingo Köhler S, Spitzbarth M, Diederichs K, Exner TE, Drescher M
- Issue date: 2011 Jan
- A distance ruler for RNA using EPR and site-directed spin labeling.
- Authors: Kim NK, Murali A, DeRose VJ
- Issue date: 2004 Jul
- Distance measurements on spin-labelled biomacromolecules by pulsed electron paramagnetic resonance.
- Authors: Jeschke G, Polyhach Y
- Issue date: 2007 Apr 28
- Nanometer-scale distance measurements in proteins using Gd3+ spin labeling.
- Authors: Potapov A, Yagi H, Huber T, Jergic S, Dixon NE, Otting G, Goldfarb D
- Issue date: 2010 Jul 7