Identification of estrogen-responsive proteins in MCF-7 human breast cancer cells using label-free quantitative proteomics
AffiliationImperial College London
MetadataShow full item record
Abstract17beta-Estradiol (E(2)) is a key regulatory steroid hormone that is involved in the control of a number of developmental and other functions. The aim of the present work was to identify estrogen-dependent proteomic changes by determining the levels of expressed proteins in MCF-7 human breast cancer cells following treatment with E(2). A number of methods exist for differential analysis of complex proteomic mixtures. Here, a label-free mass spectrometric approach comparing the ion intensities of tryptic peptides was adopted, which was combined with prefractionation of whole cell lysate proteins by 1-D SDS-PAGE. Using this approach, 60 proteins were found to be affected by E(2). These comprised 55 up-regulated and five down-regulated proteins. These proteins varied widely in their physiochemical properties with pIs of 4-12 and molecular weights of 9-500 kDa. Pathway analysis revealed that the majority of changes were related and together describe an up-regulated pathway consistent with the events of cell proliferation. The quantitative approach used here is relatively straightforward, avoids the use of costly labelling reagents, was reproducible within acceptable limits and has a linear response over a useful concentration range.
CitationZhu, Z. et al (2008) 'Identification of estrogen-responsive proteins in MCF-7 human breast cancer cells using label-free quantitative proteomics' Proteomics 8 (10):1987-2005
- Proteomic analysis of MCF-7 breast cancer cell line exposed to mitogenic concentration of 17beta-estradiol.
- Authors: Malorni L, Cacace G, Cuccurullo M, Pocsfalvi G, Chambery A, Farina A, Di Maro A, Parente A, Malorni A
- Issue date: 2006 Nov
- Quantitative profiling of drug-associated proteomic alterations by combined 2-nitrobenzenesulfenyl chloride (NBS) isotope labeling and 2DE/MS identification.
- Authors: Ou K, Kesuma D, Ganesan K, Yu K, Soon SY, Lee SY, Goh XP, Hooi M, Chen W, Jikuya H, Ichikawa T, Kuyama H, Matsuo E, Nishimura O, Tan P
- Issue date: 2006 Sep
- Identification of proteins secreted from leptin stimulated MCF-7 breast cancer cells: a dual proteomic approach.
- Authors: Perera CN, Spalding HS, Mohammed SI, Camarillo IG
- Issue date: 2008 Jun
- Changes in protein tyrosine phosphatase type IVA member 1 and zinc finger protein 36 C3H type-like 1 expression demonstrate altered estrogen and progestin effect in medroxyprogesterone acetate-resistant and estrogen-independent breast cancer cell models.
- Authors: Pennanen PT, Sarvilinna NS, Purmonen SR, Ylikomi TJ
- Issue date: 2009 Apr-May
- Protein profiling and transcript expression levels of heat shock proteins in 17beta-estradiol-treated human MCF-7 breast cancer cells.
- Authors: Lee SU, Kim BT, Min YK, Kim SH
- Issue date: 2006 Dec