Effect of chilling and cryopreservation on expression of Pax genes in zebrafish (Danio rerio) embryos and blastomeres
AffiliationUniversity of Bedfordshire
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractCryopreservation is now common practice in the fields of aquaculture, conservation and biomedicine. However, there is a lack of information on the effect of chilling and cryopreservation at the molecular level. In the present study, we used real-time RT-PCR analysis to determine the effect of chilling and cryopreservation on expression of Pax2a, Pax2b, Pax5 and Pax8 which constitute one subgroup of the Pax gene family. As intact embryos of zebrafish have not yet been successfully cryopreserved, we have used two alternatives: chilling of intact embryos and cryopreservation of isolated blastomeres. Cryopreservation was found to affect the normal pattern of gene expression in zebrafish embryonic blastomeres. The trends, profile changes, in expression of Pax2a and Pax5 occurred to a lesser extent in frozen-thawed blastomeres than in fresh blastomeres whilst the opposite was true for Pax8. The trends in expression of Pax2b were delayed in frozen-thawed blastomeres compared to fresh blastomeres. Cryopreservation can therefore disrupt normal gene expression patterns in zebrafish embryonic blastomeres which could have a detrimental effect on embryo development.
CitationLin, C., Spikings, E., Zhang, T., Rawson, D.M. (2009) 'Effect of chilling and cryopreservation on expression of Pax genes in zebrafish (Danio rerio) embryos and blastomeres' Cryobiology 59 (1):42-47
- Housekeeping genes for cryopreservation studies on zebrafish embryos and blastomeres.
- Authors: Lin C, Spikings E, Zhang T, Rawson D
- Issue date: 2009 Apr 15
- Cryopreservation of zebrafish (Danio rerio) blastomeres by controlled slow cooling.
- Authors: Lin C, Zhang T, Rawson DM
- Issue date: 2009 Mar-Apr
- Development of cryopreservation protocols for early stage zebrafish (Danio rerio) ovarian follicles using controlled slow cooling.
- Authors: Tsai S, Rawson DM, Zhang T
- Issue date: 2009 May
- Viability of frozen-thawed human embryos with one-two blastomeres lysis.
- Authors: Zheng X, Liu P, Chen G, Qiao J, Wu Y, Fan M
- Issue date: 2008 Jul
- Cryoprotective effects of antifreeze proteins delivered into zebrafish embryos.
- Authors: Martínez-Páramo S, Barbosa V, Pérez-Cerezales S, Robles V, Herráez MP
- Issue date: 2009 Apr