Oxidant stress in healthy normal-weight, overweight, and obese individuals.
AffiliationUniversity of Bedfordshire
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThis study was undertaken to investigate the association among BMI and lipid hydroperoxide (LH), total antioxidant status (TAS), superoxide dismutase (SOD), and reduced glutathione (GSH). Ninety (n = 90) healthy males and females (n = 23/67) (29 normal weight (BMI: 22.74 +/- 0.25 kg/m(2)), 36 overweight (BMI: 27.18 +/- 0.23 kg/m(2)), and 25 obese (33.78 +/- 0.48 kg/m(2))) participated in the study. Data collected included anthropometric measures, fasting blood glucose, lipid profile, LH, TAS, and enzymatic antioxidants (SOD, and reduced GSH). The results of the study showed that obese individuals had significantly increased LH levels compared to normal-weight individuals (obese vs. normal weight (0.88 +/- 0.05 vs. 0.67 +/- 0.03 micromol/l, P < 0.01)) but the increased levels were not significantly different when compared to the overweight group (obese vs. overweight (0.88 +/- 0.05 vs. 0.79 +/- 0.05 micromol/l)). No other consistent significant differences in TAS, SOD, and GSH were identified between groups. This study concluded that only obesity and not moderate overweight elevates LH levels. Furthermore, the levels of TAS, SOD, and GSH in obesity do not explain the increased LH levels observed in obesity.
CitationBrown, L.A., Kerr, C.J., Whiting, P., Finer, N., McEneny, J. and Ashton, T. (2009) 'Oxidant stress in healthy normal-weight, overweight, and obese individuals', Obesity, 17(3) pp.460-466.
JournalObesity (Silver Spring, Md.)
- Selenium supplementation and exercise: effect on oxidant stress in overweight adults.
- Authors: Savory LA, Kerr CJ, Whiting P, Finer N, McEneny J, Ashton T
- Issue date: 2012 Apr
- Erythrocyte antioxidant enzymes and blood pressure in relation to overweight and obese Thai in Bangkok.
- Authors: Viroonudomphol D, Pongpaew P, Tungtrongchitr R, Phonrat B, Supawan V, Vudhivai N, Schelp FP
- Issue date: 2000 Jun
- The impact of the sleep apnea syndrome on oxidant-antioxidant balance in the blood of overweight and obese patients.
- Authors: Wysocka E, Cofta S, Cymerys M, Gozdzik J, Torlinski L, Batura-Gabryel H
- Issue date: 2008 Dec
- Effects of the association of aging and obesity on lipids, lipoproteins and oxidative stress biomarkers: a comparison of older with young men.
- Authors: Karaouzene N, Merzouk H, Aribi M, Merzouk SA, Berrouiguet AY, Tessier C, Narce M
- Issue date: 2011 Oct
- Serum copper, zinc, ceruloplasmin and superoxide dismutase in Thai overweight and obese.
- Authors: Tungtrongchitr R, Pongpaew P, Phonrat B, Tungtrongchitr A, Viroonudomphol D, Vudhivai N, Schelp FP
- Issue date: 2003 Jun