The effects of precompetition massage on the kinematic parameters of 20-m sprint performance
AuthorsFletcher, Iain M.
AffiliationUniversity of Bedfordshire
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe purpose of this study was to investigate what effect precompetition massage has on short-term sprint performance. Twenty male collegiate games players, with a minimum training/playing background of 3 sessions per week, were assigned to a randomized, counter-balanced, repeated-measures designed experiment used to analyze 20-m sprints performance. Three discrete warm-up modalities, consisting of precompetition massage, a traditional warm-up, and a precompetition massage combined with a traditional warm-up were used. Massage consisted of fast, superficial techniques designed to stimulate the main muscle groups associated with sprint running. Twenty-meter sprint performance and core temperature were assessed post warm-up interventions. Kinematic differences between sprints were assessed through a 2-dimensional computerized motion analysis system (alpha level p
CitationFletcher, Iain M., (2010) 'The effects of precompetition massage on the kinematic parameters of 20-m sprint performance', Journal of strength and conditioning research, 24(5) pp.179-83.
JournalJournal of strength and conditioning research / National Strength & Conditioning Association
- Effect of pre-performance lower-limb massage on thirty-meter sprint running.
- Authors: Goodwin JE, Glaister M, Howatson G, Lockey RA, McInnes G
- Issue date: 2007 Nov
- The effect of massage on acceleration and sprint performance in track & field athletes.
- Authors: Moran RN, Hauth JM, Rabena R
- Issue date: 2018 Feb
- The effect of warm-ups incorporating different volumes of dynamic stretching on 10- and 20-m sprint performance in highly trained male athletes.
- Authors: Turki O, Chaouachi A, Behm DG, Chtara H, Chtara M, Bishop D, Chamari K, Amri M
- Issue date: 2012 Jan
- Effects of functional exercises in the warm-up on sprint performances.
- Authors: Sander A, Keiner M, Schlumberger A, Wirth K, Schmidtbleicher D
- Issue date: 2013 Apr
- Warm-up or stretch as preparation for sprint performance?
- Authors: Stewart M, Adams R, Alonso A, Van Koesveld B, Campbell S
- Issue date: 2007 Dec