University of Bedfordshire Repository > iBEST Institute of Biomedical and Environmental Science and Technology - to April 2016 > Cell and Cryobiology Research Group >
Study on the mitochondrial activity and membrane potential after exposing later stage oocytes of two gorgonian corals (Junceella juncea and Junceella fragilis) to cryoprotectants.
- Hdl Handle:
- Study on the mitochondrial activity and membrane potential after exposing later stage oocytes of two gorgonian corals (Junceella juncea and Junceella fragilis) to cryoprotectants.
- Coral reefs provide a valuable habitat for many economically valuable fish and invertebrates. However, they are in serious jeopardy, threatened by increasing over-exploitation, pollution, habitat destruction, disease and global climate change. Here, we examined the effect of cryoprotectant exposure on mitochondrial activity and membrane potential in coral oocytes in order to find suitable cryoprotectants towards their successful cryopreservation. According to the No Observed Effect Concentrations (NOECs), methanol was found to be the least toxic cryoprotectant whilst DMSO was the most toxic cryoprotectant. The results also demonstrated that there were no significant differences (p > 0.05) in ATP concentrations between Junceella juncea and Junceella fragilis after exposure to all concentrations of all cryoprotectants for 30 min. Using confocal microscopy, JC-1 (5,50,6,60-tetrachloro-1,10,3,30-tetraethyl-imidacarbocyanine iodide) staining indicated that the mitochondrial membrane potential of Junceella fragilis oocytes reduced after 1 M and 2 M methanol treatment and a loss of the mitochondrial distribution pattern and poor green fluorescence after 3M methanol treatment. Therefore, even oocytes that show no adverse effect of cryoprotectants on survival might suffer some more subtle impacts. The results obtained from this study will provide a basis for development of protocols to cryopreserve the oocytes of gorgonian corals.
- Tsai, S., Spikings, E., Huang, I-C., Lin, C. (2011) 'Study on the mitochondrial activity and membrane potential after exposing later stage oocytes of two gorgonian corals (Junceella juncea and Junceella fragilis) to cryoprotectants' Cryo Letters 32 (1):1-12
- Issue Date:
- PubMed ID:
- Additional Links:
- http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21468448; http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/cryo/cryo/2011/00000032/00000001/art00001?token=00541bf705f864ec38341333c4a2f7a6c6a533847462148763b734f6d6222346b6268763050214d7767c
- Appears in Collections:
- Cell and Cryobiology Research Group
Full metadata record